On Friday, March 25, 2011, MEChA members Areli Meza and Gabriela Barocio along with Mrs. Rivera, Advisor were guest of Univision and appreared on La Primera Hora and Telefurtura. Maribel Lopez, host asked them to talk about Cesar Chavez, the MEChA Club and how we integrate his legacy and goals with in education and home. This was a great honor for us to be asked to appear on the show and an experience will will never forget.
A Primera Hora
3rd Annual TOY DRIVE
Our 3rd Annual Toy Drive that was held with CHP CHiPs for Kids on Saturday, December 11, 2011 at the Stockton WalMart. The event was a great success. We exceeded our previous years donation and were able to get over 700 toys donated. These toys will go to children in the community. We would like to thank everyone who particapted in this years toy drive. (Santa and Mrs. Claus, parents, US Army, Chavez Choir, Chavez Mariachi, Wells Fargo, Amanda King and KWIN, and all of the Chavez Staff who helped and came out to help and support us.)
We could not have done it with out you.
Areli Meza, Alexis Suarez, Co-Presidents
Mrs. Rivera, Advisor
MEChA Club has invited various members of the community who have made a difference, give back to the community and are a positive role model for our students to speak at our MEChA meetings.
Miss Martinez returned in January to talk about the Bilingual Up with Education event that will be held at UOP on Sunday, January 30, 2011. The event will begin at 8 a.m. to Noon. Students and parents are welcome to this FREE event. Prizes will be given out throughout the day, breakfast will be served. Scholarship and financial aide workshps will be held throught the event.
Sara Cazares, SUSD Board Member Area 6
Mrs. Cazares talked about her education, attending college and making positive decisions. Her son Ricardo was MEChA president during the 2007-2008 school year. She encouraged the students to keep up their grades to attend college. Ask for help and apply for scholarships. Community service is very important when applying for college and she offered several opportunities for the students to help out their community service.
Yvonne Martinez, UOP Councelor
Miss Martinez, gave a brief history of her back ground and talked to the students of the importance of keeping up their grades, taking the SAT's and ACT tests. She encouraged the students to apply for college, take college field trips, apply for the FAFSA and make sure they adhere to the deadlines. She talked about scholarships and how every little bit helps out.
August 24, 2010, MEChA meeting was held with over 100 students in attendance.
- Officers promoted the sale of the Paletas which will be sold daily afterschool in room A126 beginning Thursday, August 26 for $1 each.
- Megaphones will be sold during the home games, we have 30 megaphones remaining from 2009/2010.
- A motion was made to purchase more megaphones to be sold during the home football games.
- The position of Historian is open and students will be availabe to nominate themselves or a friend with their permission. Voting will be held at the next meeting on Tuesday, August 31.
- Officers lead a group activity with hoola-hoops, studens were broken up into groups by grade level then all together. (see pics)
August 17, 2010, our first MEChA meeting for 2010-2011 was held in room E204. There were over 100 students in attendance.
The MEChA officers presented a Powerpoint on the meaning of MEChA and the different activities the club participates in.
- We stressed the importance of representing the MEChA club by:
- being a responsible active Mechista,
- following the school rules,
- possitive attitude,
- be a role model,
- get involved with clubs and sports,
- active in the community, and
- respectful to all staff and students at Chavez.
MEChA meetings will be held every Tuesday at 2:15 p.m. in room E204
No news posted